Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Origin of the Rainbow Bridge (Tuesday Trivia)

Today, I would like to dedicate this post to one of my puppies who had passed away. His name was Dash and he would always sleep on top of my foot.  

This is Dash. We diligently brought him to the vet and spent so much effort on following everything to get him better but it still wasn't enough.
When we lose our beloved fur babies, it's inevitable to think that they are in a happier place... the Rainbow Bridge. To tell you the truth, I never knew where the Rainbow Bridge came from. Fortunately, I was able to read about its history/origin and I would love to share it with you guys.

The original essay was written by an unknown author. Whoever this person was comforted millions of pet lovers all over the world.

So here it goes.
Just this side of Heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge. When an animal who has been especially close to someone here dies, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge. Here there are meadows and hills for all our special friends so that they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine so our furry friends are always warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill or old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in dreams of days gone by. The animals are happy and content except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one animal will suddenly stop and look into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend meet, you cling to each other in joyous reunion never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress that beloved head, and you once more look into the trusting eyes of your pet, gone so long from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...- Author Unknown

In loving memory of Nola's Charlotte and Tweedles' Hank. If you wish to dedicate this post to friends and family members you've lost, feel free to leave me a comment. I would love to edit this post and add their names at the bottom.

They will always be in our hearts...

Magic's dear brother Kaska and his sisters Zeta and Maisie
Scrappy's black lab sister Shadow
the 14 Doxies of the Idaho Dachshund Rescue by Siku
Basset Momma's Barney and Bear

18 comments:

  1. That's a nice little tribute to puppy Dash! Have a good day!
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about Dash but that's a lovely tribute. My Mum got all tearful reading it and remembering my dear brother Kaska who crossed the Rainbow Bridge last November..and his 2 sisters Zeta and Maisie who passed over before him. We hope we will all meet again one day - woofs and licks from Magic xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely tribute to Dash. As painful as losing a furkid is, it is good to know that we will all meet up again at the Rainbow Bridge, whole and healthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad for yor loss.

    Thanks for sharing aobut the rainbow bridge!!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...lovely tribute to Dash. I have a sister black lab waiting at the bridge for us...her name was Shadow and sometimes I miss her so much still, I look for her downstairs or in her kennel outside:( She was my protector and cuddle bunny.

    Thanks for sharing this info. I loved it.

    PS Lots of folks think I am a boy...probably my name, but I am indeed a GIRL - just not one to wear dresses or bows in my hair very often) My peeps say I am a Tom Girl, whatever that means!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all have lost a beloved pet at some time in our lives. When I first found the story on the Rainbow Bridge I was touched and comforted. I feel for anyone who has recently lost there poochies or kitties and hope that they visit this site.

    July is a hard month for me. Three of our dear poochies died in the month of July. Not the same years mind you but that month. So odd...I sort of dread July for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tribute. Thank you
    Nola

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. We have had many go to the Rainbow Bridge. It is heart wrenching but mommy loves what a character said on a great movie called Love's Unfolding Dream: You hurt so much [when you lose someone] because you care that much more.

    Licks,
    Ruthie

    Pee.s. Hey I started The Blogville Chronicle and we are having a give-away in case your interested!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That never fails to bring a tear to my eye.
    We are so sorry to hear about Dash passing, what a wonderful tribute to him, run free sweet boy.
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are all very grateful for the Rainboe Bridge. It certainly makes it easier for those of us left behind when we lose a beloved furry. Thanks for this Tuesday trivia.

    Woos - The OP Pack

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Rainbow Bridge is a comfort to us who are living. No one knows for sure unless …. !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the story of a comfort we take for granted. This is a very wonderful tribute to Dash, and Charlotte and Hank, and the 14 doxies lost in the Idaho Dachshund Rescue fire over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very sad to hear about Dash. Thank you for sharing this touching story with us all. Surely, all of us can find solace in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful tribute to Dash! I have my Barney and Bear waiting at the rainbow bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The new vacuum is supposed to be super designed for pet hair removal. It is not the most expensive one on the market but it is Bissel, a good brand. We plan on giving it a whole house test this week and will let you know how it does!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a beautiful dedication to Dash.
    It hurts so much when they are sick and old, and we cannot do anything for them. And you feel like you would give your life to make them better. So hard to let go,, but thank goodness for the love at the Rainbow Bridge. I know it was very hard to say goodbye to Dash,,just as it was for Charlotte and Hank.
    What a very beautiful post.
    Thank you for this.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely tribute. See you at the bridge Dash!

    Slobbers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. prayer for my dog dash she was a great dog and me michaelgentry

      Delete

We've turned of word verification of temporarily, but we've limited comments to registered users.

Huggies and Cheese, CEO Chooey